Food Experts Reveal the Foods You Can Still Eat, Even If There’s Mold On Them

There’s nothing more disappointing than pulling out a loaf of bread, only to find it covered in patches of green mold. It might surprise you to learn that there are foods that can still be eaten, even if they show a bit of mold………..just don’t try doing it with bread. According to food safety experts from the University of Greenwich, the advice to not eat food that has mold on it is most important for children, women who are pregnant, people over 65, and anyone with a weakened immune system. However, for the rest of us, there’s a little more leeway when it comes to mold. Nuts, grains and apples that have mold on them should be tossed. That’s because the mold that develops on those foods contains mycotoxins, which can suppress the immune system, trigger reproductive problems, and create respiratory conditions. Avoid moldy soft cheese, berries, jelly or jam, and bread. Mold spores typically found on these foods are called hyphae, which quickly spread. That means if you find a patch of mold on these foods, it’s likely to be throughout the entire product. That being said, some cheeses ARE safe to eat, but only if the mold is on hard cheese. Hard cheeses are more resistant to penetration by mold, so it can be cut out and the remainder of the cheese consumed. To be safe, it’s recommended that you cut off about ½ inch around the moldy area. However, when mold is specifically used to make a product — such as blue cheese — it’s safe to eat. The general rule of thumb with all foods is......when in doubt, throw it out.