Yes, Your Dog Can Get Poison Ivy

Strolling through the woods with your furry friend can seem like a great idea, but dogs can get poison ivy just like humans can. So, what do you do if your pup gets poison ivy? The most important thing to do is stay calm. Fortunately, their fur is a great form of protection. Make sure you don’t make contact with your dog’s fur after they roll in poison ivy. Unlike them, you don’t have a protective coat of fur. Get your pup inside and into a bath ASAP. Wear gloves and give your dog a good cleaning with a pet-safe shampoo, preferably with anti-inflammatory ingredients like oatmeal. Be sure to throw all towels or clothing that might have come into contact with the plant’s oil into the wash to remove any remaining residue. If your dog should happen to ingest poison ivy, things get a little trickier. The good news is there’s a strong chance all your pup will suffer is a bit of an upset stomach. The bad news is, this isn’t the only possible outcome. If your dog begins vomiting or having diarrhea, contact your vet immediately.