Gympie Gympie: Once Stung, Never Forgotten



Those who have had the misfortune of being stung by the Gympie-Gympie stinging tree say it's the worst kind of pain you can imagine. It’s like being burned with hot acid and electrocuted at the same time. Left with an allergic reaction that causes extreme itching and huge hives, victims are required to immediately begin steroid treatment. The innocent-looking plant is found in Australia and is one of the most poisonous plants there. Foresters, surveyors and timber workers are routinely supplied with respirators, thick gloves and antihistamine tablets as a precaution. The hairs covering the plant’s stems, leaves and fruits have also posed a danger. So, if you plan to visit Australia in the future, take a good hard look at this tree and make sure you avoid it at all costs.