The Crooked House of Windsor


While many crooked houses are deliberately built crooked to attract tourists, the one that stands at market square in Windsor, England, is a result of an oversight. The Crooked House of Windsor was built in 1592 at the edge of the town’s market square and was originally named Market Cross House. In 1687, the town council ordered the house to be demolished in order to make way for the neighboring town hall. A land dispute erupted over the lot and the town council was eventually ordered by the court to rebuild Market Cross House in its original spot. The house was re-built too quickly using unseasoned green oak wood and when the wood dried, the house buckled. Amazingly, it stood its ground. The house was originally a butcher shop, and over the centuries the building has housed many types of businesses. Today, it functions as a tea room and restaurant.